September 11, 2009

Cosmic Bookworm

Today's post is for a re-design challenge at the He-Man.org fan-art forums. The thread is here, my post is here. The voting thread is here--I placed second. The subject is Scrollos, an obscure character from the UK Masters of the Universe comics:

click above for larger view

The reference pictures of Scrollos all had slightly different color schemes, but almost all of them included some element of blue/cyan or purple/magenta. However, the picture that struck me the most had an all-green color scheme. At first I tried to combine the various color schemes, but that was too complex a task for my humble coloring skills. I settled on the green scheme, which I'm content with.

On the whole, everything in the picture is supposed to give a sense of a character who is powerful, but aloof and preoccupied with knowledge and information. The floating scrolls and holographic displays are there to emphasize the contrast between science fiction and fantasy that makes me so fond of the He-Man Universe. Inserting some of my previous art into the holographic displays took me a surprisingly long time. Hopefully the details are visible enough to warrant the time spent.

No comments: