February 09, 2010

Things That Should Not Be: Meow?

A few months ago, I finally saw the Watchmen movie on DVD, which was also the first time I had revisited the story in a number of years--the last time I read the comic was maybe... '98 or '99? Anyways, it occurred to me that it would be really funny if Bubastis somehow was able to reconstitute himself the way Doctor Manhattan had. Okay, I guess it's not really funny, but it was funny enough that I thought I should draw it.

I came up with the name Doctor Manxhattan, and Sherri suggested Doctor Mankattan. I decided optimal funny-badness would be achieved by combining the two names. Thus was Doctor Manxkattan born.

The idea really makes more sense (insofar as such an idea can make any sense at all) in the context of the movie, wherein Bubastis is colored similarly to Doctor Manhattan. However, research into the comic corrected and reminded me that Bubastis was actually magenta colored, not blue. Here, for your enjoyment, are both comic and movie versions of the good Doctor:


click above for larger view


click above for larger view

The pose, composition, and colors are all executed in imitation of chapter IV, page 20, panel 1 of the Watchmen comic. HILARIOUS, right? Right? No? Okay, that's enough of that.

In case you missed my previous Watchmen goof, please check it out.

And here are some superior Watchmen goofs, from sources superior to me--enjoy:



2 comments:

Atomic Swan Serials and If - E - Zine said...

Man, you are just earning those NPs left and right! Now if somehow we could get Manxkattan and Lynx-o in the same universe, that'd be great!

illgnosis said...

Awesomeness!! While it may be sacrilege to say so I prefer the movie colors for this illo. I like these full compositions. MORE!